Over 90% of our clients are now on the WordPress website platform. I have encouraged all my clients over the last several years to move to WordPress. It is a dynamic, user friendly system that puts control back into the hands of the clients. I have clients that can manage their own websites updates after we built the initial website and trained them on how to make updates. Obviously we are always here to handle the updates for clients that don’t want to be DIY pioneers, but our clients are thrilled to know that they can do it without us if they want to. With the economic down turn and companies tighten their belts, every penny counts.
Here is a list of the top ten reasons we love using WordPress.
- It is Open Source: WordPress is an Open Source software which means it is free! It may be used on any personal, and/or commercial projects without costing you an annual “seat license”. Many high-end Content Management Systems (CMS) require “Seat Licenses” which means that you have to pay per user /seat who will be using it.
- User Friendly: WordPress does not require you to be an expert with computer knowledge in order to incorporate or use it on your website. It comes with a simple backend CMS where you can manage your own website content.
- Extended Plugins: WordPress has many open-source plugins that can assist you in making WordPress look however you want it to look. These plugins can make your dreams come true.
- Standard Web Compliance: WordPress has gone to great lengths to make sure every bit of the generated code is in full compliance with the standards of the W3C. This is important not only for interoperability with today’s browser but also for forward compatibility with the tools of the next generation.
- Easy Upgrades: Upgrading from previous versions and other software is a piece of cake. WordPress has a new feature in their most recent release that allows a one click upgrade.
- Spam Protection: WordPress comes built in with very robust tools such as an integrated blacklist and open proxy checker to manage and eliminate comment spam on your blog. There is also a large quantity of plugins that can take this functionality a step further.
- Cross Blog Communication and Search Engines: WordPress fully supports both the Trackback and Pingback standards. It notifies search engines and other top blogging services with the use of Ping-o-Matic.
- Theme or Custom Based: There are literally thousands of themes you can use with WordPress to cut down on the design cost or if there is a very specific design or need you can use WordPress with a custom designed website.
- Mobile and Tablet Viewing: The advertising world is moving to mobile and so is WordPress. Most of the theme designers now code their website themes to be easily viewable on mobile devices and various tablets. The smartphone market is growing like crazy, and this is a feature that can really allow you to make sure your best content is accessible on smartphones and tablets.
- Easy Social Media Integration: WordPress hooks up to social media using various plugins so you can send your blog posts to Facebook, Twitter, or just about any social media website. You can make it easy for your visitors to add your content to bookmarking networks. You can create custom RSS feeds for specific categories and add them to unique Feedburner feeds.